What is Neighbourhood Watch?
It’s one of the most successful crime reduction initiatives ever.
What are the benefits?
• You are far less likely to be a victim of crime
• Membership can reduce your household insurance premium
• Gives advice to improve personal safety and security of your home and property
• Improved community spirit
• Become part of an established communication network between the community and Police
What does Neighbourhood Watch involve?
Schemes vary widely. At its most basic level membership involves being aware of what happens in your neighbourhood, taking simple precautions to prevent and reduce the risk of crime and being alert to anything that is suspicious.
NHW is a community initiative owned and run by the community. The Police support this community initiative, they do not run it. Members have a key role in making it a success.
Aims of Neighbourhood Watch:
Neighbourhood Watch aims to develop a close liaison between householders in a neighbourhood and the local Police.
• Help people to protect themselves and their property
• To reduce the fear of crime by means of improved home security
• Greater vigilance
• Rapid and detailed reporting of crime and suspicious incidents to the Police
• Fostering an improved community spirit